Sunday, January 31, 2010

Looking Back

I can't stop thinking about what Joe and I were doing exactly one year ago this weekend. It was one of the worst weekends of my life, for sure. I was just ending my first trimester of pregnancy and was absolutely elated because, as every child bearing woman knows, entering the second trimester meant that the chances of a miscarriage plummet. So when we ended up in the emergency room with some pretty telltale signs of a miscarriage, I was crushed. The symptoms that I was experiencing could only mean one thing: I was loosing my baby. I was convinced of this for at least three hours as we waited in the ER. I was absolutely devastated, thinking that I was loosing this life inside of me, this life that I already loved so much. And then I saw the most beautiful thing. On the ultrasound screen, through my tears, I saw that amazing teeny tiny beating heart. Our baby was okay. Without much explanation on what was causing the complications, we were relieved that everything was fine, but worried that something could still take a turn for the worse.

Fast forward exactly six months. Joe and I rush to the hospital again. A little nervous again, but mostly just excited beyond belief. I'm poked and prodded for hours once more. But once again, in the end, through my tears I see the most beautiful sight. My baby boy. He's here at last. Safe and sound and as perfect as can be. I will cherish every second with him and never take him for granted.

Happy Half Birthday, my sweet boy! We love you so much!

2 comments:

Kimberly :] said...

wow. when i look at the picture i can see shae in toddler stage. scary!!!

Beth Sable said...

Ok - that made me cry a little! He is so handsome and you two are AMAZING parents. As lucky as you are to have him, he is just as lucky to have you! Happy half birthday Shae!!!